Hellenic Meditteranean University with the support of the European Commission through the Erasmus+ Programme offers over 300 Erasmus exchange places for undergraduate & postgraduate studies for students from our partner universities across Europe and beyond.
The Incoming students to the HMU can participate through KA103 – Classical Mobility and KA107 – International Mobility schemes.
If you are a student and want to spend part of your studies (for a single or two semesters) with quality and in one of the most beautiful islands in the Mediterranean, please advise the following:
Step #1: If you would like to apply for an Erasmus mobility period at the HMU, at first, you need to be nominated by your sending institution. Please visit your International Relations Office and check if a bilateral agreement exists between your Institution and HMU for student exchange. If this is the case and after we receive your nomination, we will contact you and advise you how to complete the whole process
Step #2: Respect our Nomination / Application Deadlines. The latter for the Academic Year 2020 – 21 are the following:
Autumn Semester: 30th of May 2020
Spring Semester: 30th of November 2020
Step #3: After we receive your nomination from your home university, we will send an email to you how to apply online at HMU – the application form can be downloaded here
It must be highlighted that all your personal data will be handled by our services respecting the EACEA privacy statement
Make sure that:
- the application form is fully completed
- you have selected the courses (see here the offered courses per School per Department) you wish to attend in the application form; For studies for one semester, you should select courses that correspond to at least 30 ECTS or 60 ECTS for two-semester studies. Please note that Erasmus+ students can either attend a lesson taught in English in class or get a project in English. For more information, you can also contact the Academic Coordinator of the Department, in which you intend to study. For any further help or clarifications, you can also contact the HMU academic coordinator of the host department. All courses offered through the International Relations Office Academy apply for all the Departments of HMU
- you have completed the “Learning Agreement”. To do this you can consult the Academic Coordinators of your University who are professors that are academically responsible for the mobility programs. They can help you with the selection of the courses, with the documents you need to fill, etc. You can find the Academic Coordinators of your University at the website of your University, or by asking the International Relations Office. Then, you can show them the list with the courses below, which are the courses that are taught in English at HMU
- you have attached your cv (you can use the Europass template)
- you have attached the transcript of records
- you have attached your European Insurance Card
- you have attached an English language certificate; We generally require a B2 English Language Level (the level is according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages -CEFR), unless it is stated otherwise in the Inter-Institutional Agreement. The B2 English Language level is equivalent to a total score of 72 in TOEFL or a total score of 6 scores in IELTS
- The application form and the learning agreement/work plan must be signed by you and signed and stamped by your Home Institution Coordinator and sent to us and via e-mail. Please keep in mind that both documents are not only mandatory but also essential for the accreditation of your studying period in HMU.
Step #5: Upload the completed application form and the other supporting documents to the HMU platform: https://eforms.hmu.gr/erasmus_in/byreq/78cfdc81-ccc8-4a41-9ece-916b80ec8419
Step #6: Acceptance Letter
The IRO – HMU staff member will check the uploaded documents to the HMU platform and will contact you in case you have missed/forgotten some of the required documents. As soon as the International Relations Office of HMU receives your documents and you are admitted as an Erasmus incoming student you will receive an Acceptance/Confirmation Letter by email or regular post service (only if required by your host institution).
Make sure that the documents are signed and stamped and comply with the application deadlines which are: June 15 for admission in the winter semester and December 15 for admission in the spring semester.
Step #7 – Last Reminder
Before traveling to Greece be sure that you:
- Have made all the arrangements regarding your VISA (if required) and have your passport or ID with you
- Have arranged all the health insurance matters, e.g. European Health Card (for EU-members), with your host institution so that to be covered for the entire exchange period
- Have arranged your accommodation; the HMU secures per semester ten places within the University Dorm Facilities (only for Heraklion Campus). Please contact Dr. Gareth Owens (firstname.lastname@example.org) to secure one of the available accommodations within the University’s Dorm. You must mention your preference to stay in the Dorms along with your application. In a different case, let us inform you that most apartments offered usually consist of two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. Expect to pay around 300 euros for a small flat, for two persons, per month. When booking be sure to get a contact address or telephone number from the landlord in case of any minor emergency and always let the IRO know where you are staying. The staff of the International Relations Office (IRO) or Student Network (ESN) will help incoming students to find accommodation in different parts of town, preferably near the HMU campus. It is also possible to stay, for a few days, in one of the hotels that work in conjunction with the HMU at a discounted price. The average price for students would without breakfast be around 30 euros per day for a double room. For further assistance please refer to the links offered (see useful links for students) in our website or ask ex-students through the Facebook Page: Hellenic Mediterranean University Erasmus Ambassadors
Step #8: Upon your Arrival
You will be enrolled during registration week which precedes the semester. The office (or the local IRO Offices in HMU campuses in Sitia, Agios Nikolaos, Rethimnon, and Chania) will issue the HMU Student Card and a document certifying your registration. Then meet your academic coordinator to arrange the details of your courses. Keep in mind that any changes to the original Learning Agreement must be finalized in the first 15 days of your exchange period.
Step #9: While in Your Erasmus Period
As an Erasmus exchange student you have the same rights and responsibilities as the local undergraduate and postgraduate students. For any help regarding academic matters do not hesitate to contact the Academic Coordinator of your department or the International Relations Office directly.
Moreover, be sure to contact the ESN community of HMU (https://hmucrete.esngreece.gr/). ESN community consists of Greek students that have already been abroad with student exchange programs and their main role is to support and assist incoming students by meeting them at the airport, helping them to find accommodation and explaining everyday cultural events
Step #10: Before your Departure
- 1st of all we want to register in Hellenic Mediterranean University Erasmus Ambassadors Facebook Page
- 2nd to evaluate us; https://forms.gle/664yQy4B8rwqeUTZ7
- Before leaving you should meet your HMU Academic Coordinator, inform them about your academic progress, and ask them for a Transcript of Records (ToR) for your exchange period. The ToR will not be handed to you. There is no need to worry about this. It will reach your institution properly signed and stamped in a short period (normally within one month at most).
- Finally, go to the International Relations Office and arrange any last details before your departure, e.g. any documents you need to take with you, like your final Learning Agreement, or Certificate of Departure, etc.